Station & Family History
Grandfather Steve Reynolds and his younger brother Tom came from their family home of Willow Plain near Hawker in 1924 to inspect the Upalinna block which was one of the many subdivisions of the former Wilpena Station.
On arriving at Prelinna Hut located at the southern tip of Upalinna they were confronted by a shepherd working for Wilpena Station. The shepherd knew that these young Irish lads were going to be a threat to his job and so was at first a little reluctant to allow them in the Hut and to spend the night with him. During the evening Tom Reynolds, who at the time was suffering from a toothache, retrieved a bottle of brandy from one of his saddle packs. By the next morning the Reynolds brothers had a detailed account of what this Upalinna block was capable of carrying and where the watering points were to be found. They then spent the next couple of days riding around on horseback, confirming what the shepherd had told them and they then went and approached the Pastoral Board for a lease.
The lease was granted to them and the Pastoral Board passed comment on how thorough their application had been.
Willow Springs Station, which neighbours Upalinna, was one of the early pastoral leases in the Flinders Ranges and was purchased by the Reynolds family in 1952. Willow Springs which was formerly known as Appealinna was taken up by Joseph Wills in 1856. Willow Springs remains a pastoral lease of 70,000 acres or 28,300 hectares.
The carrying capacity of Willow Springs Station is about 1 sheep to every 16 acres or about 1 sheep to every 40 large suburban house blocks. Land value in this area is about $200 a sheep area or $12 an acre. Rainfall varies throughout the property with the homestead averaging approximately 300mm (12 inches) and Moxan and other areas as low as 175mm.
Present Family History
The pastoral lease of Willow Springs was taken up by grandfather, Steve Reynolds and his 3 sons at the ehight of the wool boom in the 1950s and for 30 years sucessfully supported a large family business.
In 1985 we, Carmel & Brendan joined Brendan's parents in a partnership to obtain Willow Springs and took the first step in diversifying into the tourist industry, by developing the Shearer's Quarters as an alternative accommodation facility in the Flinders Ranges.
Willow Springs Pastoral is operated by ourselves and our son, Christopher, who also works (with his partner Bridie) on a sheep station 170km North of Willow Springs - they have two daughters. Our eldest daughter, Anne-Marie, is married with three children, our second married daughter, Naomi, has two children and our youngest, Michelle, operates Skytrek Willow Springs Tourism with us on the property.